Monday, June 8, 2009

What a Nice Day for a Bouquet



What a nice day for a bouquet, wouldn't you say?


Actually, Sunday was quite dim here in St. Louis. The sun decided to hide after making a lovely showing all week and the storm clouds took its place for the mid-morning/afternoon shift.

I had heard of "Flower Row" downtown but thought for sure it was a wholesaler's playground only.
Low and behold its not. Well, two that I know of at least, aren't. And they're even open on Sundays. So with a bridal shower approaching and a curiosity needing to be satisfied, my mom and I headed downtown.

After, typically, getting turned around in a not so great neighborhood and being told by a construction worker that we were far away from where we wanted to be (we weren't) I managed to find LaSalle Street. Bingo!




The entire street was absent any cars and devoid of all signs of human life. Mom of course didn't want to get out, but psh, that wasn't happening. So inside the warehouse we went. And just like I said, there were indeed people. They told us we could look around the entire place and then paid us no mind. Free roam without being bothered! I liked it.


These lovelies to the right are peonies impressively grouped together in the massive refrigerator. Their roommates are roses of every color, daisies, hydrangeas, tulips and more varieties of blooms than I can remember: all sold in bunches at wholesale to the public.

How I long for the fantasy dreamt days of when I'll be able to order ten bunches a day just because I want to.







The cooler is not all there is to be offered: there are also tables to be rented should you be an aspiring florist and like to have your flower selection and presentation implements complied and waiting for your arrival and creative touch.

Behind these tables are rows and rows of stockpiles of every kind of good you could possibly associate with florals: vases (glassware is 50% if you buy by the case!), ribbon, foam, hot glue, paint, glitter, I could go on and on. Its a one stop shop if you've got a substantial project on your hands and are willing to make the trip.

If you're interested in learning about the flowers,
the staff at Harold's Wholesale is happy to talk and teach you a thing or two.
These stalks of flowers are "Stock" flowers. Warren, who had been diligently ridding the individual stem cooler of the blooms that wouldn't last the required 5 days upon delivery, asked us what the stalk of the flower smelled like. I guessed celery. Stock is actually from the Radish family so I wasn't too far off. Then the bloom: what did it smell like to me? My guess was nutmeg, he went with cloves. Its an odd plant and a staple in many large arrangements and I learned something I never would have known.

Not bad for a Sunday afternoon.



Flower Row: 2600-2700 block of LaSalle Street (off Jefferson).

view more photos from the day at my flickr.


No comments:

Post a Comment