Monday, April 13, 2009

From Versailles to The Biltmore

We started off our Thursday evening with an attempt to..do what?
Let's say it together: things that are quintessentially Miami (this time The Fair).
Yes yes, we all know the mission.
Tatiana and Kerry joke that its like the Mandy Moore movie "A Walk to Remember", only substitute leaving Florida forever for the cancer please.

Well, we sat in traffic for an hour, and after realizing it would take us darn well near another hour to park we decided to Little Havana for dinner at this restaurant which is far more quintessentially Miami than the fair, so it was win-win.



My first mojito.
Luckily I actually remembered I'd never had one and Tatiana ordered me one just as soon as we sat down (in Spanish, of course).



The restaurant was quite the anomaly to me. As you can see from above, the tables are more cafeteria than anything, but the rest of the place is outfitted with chandeliers and beautiful etched glass with waiters in crisp white shirts and funny little black ties.



I've clearly begun a love affair with light fixtures.



"Tasajo" or...well, I don't remember what the name of the dish is. I could pick it out if I needed to. Served with sweet plantains, white rice, black beans, and my empty mojito glass (don't worry, mojito #2 was already on its way).

I loved it. Beef. Salty. Onions and peppers in a tomato broth sauce.



Cuban flan. Sweet and bitter.


The entire menu was especially well priced and I can't imagine anything less than delicious being delivered to your table.

In the parking lot.
Not sure if its advertising photos of Cuba, or for passports to Cuba but before today I was pretty sure the latter was just a waste of money.



I was losing my mind that day and I joked that it must be a full moon.

Well what do you know...


Since we were in the area and we had driven past entrances for Coral Gables on our way to the restaurant, we took a little sightseeing trip in the dark.

The Biltmore Hotel in Coral Gables isn't only famous, but its historical style and grace are awe worthy.



It is a quiet beacon of true elegance amid a city that constantly roars.

The serene, soft being of the Biltmore is especially noticeable because you wonder what it is you're hearing, seeing: then you remember that its the noise that is missing and rich jeweled tones and gently flaming fixtures replace the neon lights so prevalent and often associated with Miami.



At the height of its glory during the Jazz Age, the pool, which was at one time the largest in the world, served as a scene for aquatic galas.
As many as three thousand spectators would watch synchronized swimmers, alligator wrestling, and a boy-wonder dive from an 85ft. platform.



The Lobby.

Rich gold hues compliment the stars dotting the ash blue 'sky' and coax the marble into glowing.



The Entrance.

Wrought iron gates and plush red carpets flanked by brick entryways and manicured trees.

Sadly most of the pictures didn't turn out. I refuse to use a flash and I'm still learning how to take true-to-life pictures without being too dark or blurry.
I wish I could take a true outing during the day, but a girl's gotta take what she can get sometimes.



It really was stunning. I highly recommend a visit, if not just to stroll around for a flashback to a place and time we are only too fortunate to imagine.

Not only has the Biltmore been a favorite of American and European royalty both past and present, but as it turns out, Bing Crosby was also a frequent guest.


No wonder I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment